How Child Support and Car Insurance Go Together

In Illinois, if you are a non-custodial parent who is ordered to pay child support and you do not make your payments, your license may be suspended. Your license will be suspended until you contact the enforcement agency and satisfy all their requirements.

How to get your drivers to license reinstated

If you have a suspended license for not paying child support, you have a few options.

Consider the following:

Make your child support payments 

Work out a payments plan for the past due payments. If you keep up with your payment plan, the office can notify the DMV to have your driver’s license reinstated.

Contact the child support office 

If you have a valid reason for not being able to make the mandatory payments, you can contact the child support office and explain your situation. You may be able to reinstate your license if you have proof of your hardships.

Apply for a restricted license

You may have your license reinstated even if there is no valid reason as to why you are not making your payments. The DMV may reinstate your license with restrictions. These restrictions typically only let drivers use their car of necessary trips including getting to and from work.